Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Quotes of the Day

Guest lecturers are, most of the time, amazing. And today did not disappoint. My Plants and Society (a.k.a. by me as Botany) is usually an interesting class, that I only ever sleep in once in a great while. Today was definitely not a sleeping day.
Fred Montague, Ph.D, Professor Emeritus of Biology came to speak. The lecture was aptly named, “Things to Think About: The Global Imperative for Sustainable Agriculture.” 
I could have listened to this man speak for hours. I am sure he didn’t even make it through half of what he wanted to say, but what he did say was necessary and almost seemed like it was mandatory to absorb and think about.
I cannot even begin to explain what he talked about because it was such an intricate topic. But I do have a few jewel quotes that stood out to me throughout his conversation with our class.
“Nobody is evil, people are just living out their 
world view. That’s why stories are so important.”
“[There are] two great celebrations in life. 
One is birth. The other is death.”
“That’s where we could grow the grasses [corn,
 wheat, and the like] that domesticated people.”
If you are ever given the opportunity to listen to a lecture by Professor Montague, I implore you to go to it.
Note: When I say today, that doesn’t necessarily mean the same day that I’m posting. I know that this is too much information, but it isn’t entirely useless.

No comments:

Post a Comment